[bio] Jeremy Bentham [e]
Author: Christoph Pingel Posted: 05.10.2001; 18:56:46 Topic: [bio] Jeremy Bentham [e] Msg #: 128 (top msg in thread) Prev/Next: 127/129 Reads: 43976
*1748, London [GB], died 1832; Leading English philosopher, jurist, political theorist and founder of utilitarianism. Trained as a lawyer but devoted himself to a radical critique of society and the reform of English legislation. The greatest work of his exceptional productivity, the Introduction to the Priciples of Morals and Legislation (1789), won Bentham recognition throughout the Western world. He also addressed prison reform, religion, poor relief, international law and animal welfare. The 19th-century reforms of criminal law, of judical organization, and of the parliamentary electorate owe much to the influence of Bentham and his disciples.
Bibliography | Recommended Links
An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation, J.H. Burns; H.L.A. Hart (eds.), Clarendon Press, Oxford 1996; David Lyon, »From Big Brother to Electronic Panopticon«, in David Lyon, The Electronic Eye: The Rise of Surveillance Society, University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis 1994, pp. 57-80; Janet Semple, Bentham's Prison. A Study of the Panopticon Penitentiary, Clarendon Press, Oxford 1993; J.R. Dinwiddy, Bentham, Oxford University Press, Oxford 1989; Ross Harrison, Bentham, London 1983; A Comment on the Commentaries and A Fragment on Government, J.H. Burns; H.L.A. Hart (eds.), Athlone Press, London 1977; Michel Foucault, Überwachen und Strafen. Die Geburt des Gefängnisses, Suhrkamp, Frankfurt am Main 1976; Robin Evans, »Bentham's Panopticon. An Incident in the Social History of Architecture«, in Architectural Association Quarterly 3,, 2, April-July 1971, Oxford, New York 1971, pp. 21-37; Of laws in general, Athlone Press, London 1970; D.J. Manning, The Mind of Jeremy Bentham, John Bowring (ed.), London 1968; Mary Peter Mack, Jeremy Bentham: An Odyssey of Ideas, 1748-1792, London 1962; The Works of Jeremy Bentham, London 1838-1843, reprinted New York 1962.
° Main Pages | Biographies ::
- > The Bentham Project
- > »Jeremy Bentham (1748-1832)« in Biographies
- > »Jeremy Bentham (1748-1832)« , entry in The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
° Scholarship About ::
- > David Lyon, »From Big Brother to Electronic Panopticon« in The Electronic Eye: The Rise of Surveillance Society 
- > David Engberg, »The Virtual Panopticon« in Impact of New Media Technologies [Fall 1996]
° More Philosophy & Writings ::
- > »Offences Against One's Self« c. 1785. First published in the Journal of Homosexuality, v.3:4 , p.389-405; continued in v.4:1 
- > »Jeremy's Labyrinth: A Bentham Hypertext A Bentham Hypertext« Includes: »Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation«, »The Rationale of Reward«, and »The Rationale of Punishment«
- > Information relating to Bentham's principle of utility and Utilitarianism